Wednesday 6 January 2016

New Years Resolutions

January is a dreary time. The hopes and expectations to stick to unrealistic, over-ambitious goals is only a set up for failure. And who likes failure? Most of the nation are stuck beating themselves up for eating a chocolate bar when they said they would give up chocolate forever - they should of never made a promise like that in the first place.

That's the problem with promises. They are incredibly delicate - like a piece of paper or a sheet of glass; once the paper is torn it cannot be stuck back together, if the glass is broken, it may be fixable but it will always have the cracks. Making a promise is another way of forming trust, and trust, as we all know, is crucial for relationships - but don't forget about the relationship you have with yourself. If you make a promise to yourself and don't adhere to it, what is that going to make you feel like? Like you've mistreated your own trust, and we dislike people who break our trust and relinquish on them, hence we give the same punishment to ourselves without even knowing it. So my point, don't make intricate or unachievable goals for the new year.

The reason why I'm writing this is because I did it to myself - a few days before the new year I wrote 23 new years resolutions. 23 is pretty prodigious, and I was clearly kidding myself, but being the obstinate person I am, I was determined to give all 23 a go. Which, of course, did not happen. Learning from this mistake I decided to pick my 4 most important and stick to them. I did not call them "new years resolutions" either; they are simply called goals. Because these are things I want to achieve throughout life and not just for a few weeks:

Number 1: Worry less. This is the most important one for me. Everyone who knows me knows I am a massive worrier, and I become very anxious about certain things. But I've learnt that worrying is not worth it in any way - everything will always be okay in the end.

Number 2: Study harder. Okay so this isn't one which I will carry on throughout life, but for the rest of my A-Levels and University, it is colossally important. I want to be successful so I need to work hard to get to where I want to go.

Number 3: Live in the moment. I need to stop thinking and living in the past or future and focus on right now, because not living in the moment can cause many issues and it is the main reason why I worry so much. I need to stop doing it to myself by not letting time pass me by - every one has to take control of their life, seize it and live it.

Number 4: Spend less time on my phone and don't go on social media as much. I waste so much time on my phone it's unbelievably. I don't have the time to be staring at a screen which does not benefit me in anyway. Also, when on social media I tend to compare myself to others which is a painful habit. So from now on, I will use my time wisely, serving to grow and develop as a person and find my true self.

All these I believe are realistic. For me they are challenging; if I put my mind to it I know it is achievable. And that's the most important thing. I have my piece of paper, or sheet of glass: they won't get torn or shattered.

I hope everyone has a lovely 2016.

Goal: the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.

Yas
x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment