Thursday 7 January 2016

Thoughts on make up and my routine

It is safe to say that I do love make up. I wear it everyday and I invest in it - like most women of this generation. Money and time is consumed within this ritual of being captivating and flawless. However, what ever happened to "natural beauty"? I would not go to sixth form, or out with my friends with no make up on. And I just look back and think how I used to hardly wear any make up at all, it's only been since the end of summer that I started paying a real interest in it. I started to wear make up back in year 9 but literally it would be the bare minimum. I see girls that age now (and younger) plastering themselves in foundation and contour, and I think what has society become - what is the media doing to our young girls, who should be enjoying their youth and not caring what they look like?

We have a warped image of perfection. No matter how much you highlight your cheekbones, or bronze up your complexion, or extend your eyelashes, or have your eyebrows on "fleek", there will always be something to adapt and change. It's effort, it's time and it's money. So why are girls so hooked on this form of art? Because in honesty, I enjoy doing my make up and buying new products. But why? Because it is that boost of confidence. It does give you a pleasing feeling to look in the mirror at the end of your masterpiece and see a more chiselled, polished structure. However, it can get monotonous and sometimes you hit that tedium when doing the same 25 minute routine over and over again, every single morning. But like I said, I do love it and I wear it everyday. So here's my make up routine:

1) Cleanse and moisturise: I cleanse my face with warm water to open up pores and get the dirt and grease out, and then splash with cold water to close the pores, not allowing bacteria to get in. Sometimes if I have spots I'll use the Neutrogena visibly clear pink grapefruit daily scrub. I don't tend to use many spot treatments as I find them harsh on my skin. If my skin is feeling very dry then I will cleanse with my Coconut Oil (which everyone needs to own in their life because it works miracles). For moisturiser, I use Simple replenishing rich moisturiser which I've used for many years.

2) I then apply my foundation. I combine both Maybelline Super stay Better skin Flawless finish foundation and the Rimmel BB cream Radiance 9-in-1 because I find the foundation too pigmented on it's own, and the BB cream doesn't give enough coverage for me, so combining them gives a good balance. I blend them on the back of my hand with my Beauty Blender and then apply to my face and blend into my skin.

3) Next, I use the Maybelline Dream touch, illuminating concealer and apply this under my eyes, on my eyelids and on blemishes with my finger. I prefer this concealer to many others because it gives a natural highlighted radiance, and has great coverage.

4) Base complete, I then move onto contour. I use the Collection Contour kit, Highlight and Sculpt. I apply only the contour at this point with an angled brush along the natural shadows of my face and blend with a larger brush. This is great value for money considering it contains both a contour and a highlighter.

5) Using Collection Gorgeous glow Blush block, I apply to the apples of my cheek and along my cheekbone using a blusher brush. I enjoy this blusher because you can blend the darker pinks with the more rose-gold, shimmery pinks to create your preferred colour.

6) Going back to the Collection contour kit, I use the highlighter and apply under and around my eyes, along my brow bone and the top of my cheek bone. This creates a very pretty look which enhances and illuminates the eyes and makes the skin look dewy and fresh.

7) Moving on to eyes, I apply two mascaras. I cannot use eyeliner or eyeshadow because I have very sensitive, delicate eyes and make up does irritate them. Firstly, I use Rimmel Scandaleyes in extreme black and coat my eyeslashes in this. I love this mascara because of the brush - it allows you to reach tiny eyelashes in the inner and outer eyes, and creates great definition. Secondly I use Rimmel Wake Me Up to add extra volume to my lashes.

8) Lastly, (unless I do my lips) I use Rimmel Brow This Way brow sculpting kit. This kit comes with a wax and powder formula, a double ended brush and a combing brush (very good value for money). I use the wax first, applied with the hard end of the brush, followed by the powder with the soft end, and complete by combing it all through. This kit creates a very sophisticated, neat brow look.

9) For the lips, I love to do a red lip look, although when I go to sixth form I tend to just use lip balm as it is more natural. If I'm going to do a red lip, I use the MUA lip liner in Drama Red to outline my lips and create precision, and then using a lipstick brush, I apply my favourite Lancome lipstick in Le Rouge Absolu which is a beautiful, vermillion red.

And that's my make up (and cleanser/moisturiser) routine. As you can see, I only tend to use drugstore brands as they are affordable. I do desire to invest in Chanel, Dior, Clinque, Mac and Benefit products one day...

“The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion. But cosmetics are easier to buy.” 
― Yves Saint-Laurent

“Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick.” 
― Gwyneth Paltrow


Yas
x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment